The challenges of this innovation
Since the sustainability of the production of our member breeders is essential, we have created Émeraude bio-énergie, a methanizer located in Brittany in France and allowing the treatment of organic livestock waste.
Biogas is produced from organic material from around 100 Cooperl member farms. Indeed, the organic matter of our farms comes from a new generation of buildings using TRAC technology, which separates urine from solid matter. If the liquid material is spread directly on the land, the organic material is transformed into fertilizer after anaerobic digestion. Methanization is a process of degradation of organic matter in the absence of oxygen thanks to the action of microorganisms. The main effect of this biological activity is to produce biogas as well as natural fertilizer. The biogas will be purified of its carbon dioxide to become biomethane. The biogas is then injected into the GRDF network for domestic gas consumption in Lamballe (Brittany, France).
Unlike many other installations, we don't do any direct spreading of digestate. This is thanks to the choice of a dual technology which at the end of the cycle produces pure water, reused in the methanizer, and a natural fertilizer. A project that preserves the environment, produces value and thus strengthens the competitiveness of breeders.
A successful inauguration
In June, we inaugurated Emeraude bio -ergie, the largest non-spill-type methaniser in Europe, during 3 days dedicated to enhancing its environmental commitments. A visit to our new order preparation platform was also organized in Plestan.
- 2500 visits in total on the two sites
- 140 people worked on the good progress of these 3 days …
- … as well as 46 Cooperl Environnement workers
- 2kms of visit route
- A few drops of rain
- 100% in a good mood
- Hundreds of thanks!
The methanizer in a few figures
- 79 million kWh per year, i.e. 3,100 homes supplied in Lamballe by our biogas or 75% of local domestic gas consumption
- 300 meters of pipes : this is the distance that the recipe mix travels (which is used to feed the gas-producing bacteria), from the preparation tanks to the digester
- 5000m3 : this is the maximum volume that the digester can contain
After the inauguration last June, the methanizer officially started on Friday, November 15.